[TriLUG] IDE Recommendations?

Owen Berry oberry at trilug.org
Fri Dec 29 19:41:59 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 17:08 -0500, Robert Dale wrote:
> On 12/29/06, Randy Barlow <randy at electronsweatshop.com> wrote:
> > Howdy - I'm looking for recommendations on an IDE that doesn't use
> > qt/kde libs.  Something that interfaces nicely with gdm and has nice
> > syntax highlighting would be nice too!  Thanks!
>
> C/C++ the Sun way: Netbeans - http://www.netbeans.org/products/cplusplus/
>
> The only con to Netbeans is that you are sort of forced to do it the
> Netbeans way.

I would consider it (along with Eclipse) being a Java based application
as a con too, but that's just me. I've never been able to a Java based
IDE that's even bearable to work with, but maybe I just don't have
enough spare memory lying around.

I find it humorous that one of the better Java IDE's I've worked on was
written in C++. The author was originally writing it in Java, and gave
it up as a bad idea.

Owen