[TriLUG] Hardware: Pentium II CPU Fan?

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sun Dec 31 16:45:03 EST 2006

Slightly off topic...

I have an old Pentium II machine acting as a server at home.  Recently, the
CPU fan began making a lot of noise.  (I looked, and I could have made
another dust puppy from all of the dust inside the case.)  Anyway, time to
replace the fan.

The problem is that it's an old Pentium II, Slot 1.

I can unclip the little fan component from the heat sink, and I was hoping
just to replace that, but it looks like everyone normally sells the heat sink
and fan together.  How compatible are CPU fans?  This is the first one I've
had to replace.   Could I just buy a fan and heat sink for a modern CPU and
pull the fan off?

I'm not sure how many Slot 1 CPU Fans are sold in stores, and I'd really like
to replace the fan as soon as possible.

Thanks,
---Tom