[TriLUG] Wireless woes after upgrade FC3->FC5

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sun Jan 7 15:28:04 EST 2007

On Sunday 07 January 2007 12:44, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> Feh.  Although the migration went pretty well, I didn't
> try going wireless since the upgrade until last night --
> when I discovered that
>
> a) cardctl has been replaced with pccardctl,
> b) pccardctl doesn't have a 'scheme' mechanism, and
> c) the auto-detection-and-ifup on insertion of the Cardbus
>    card no longer invokes ifrename, at least not in the
>    same place.
>
> So my ifcfg-eth2 script failed because it referenced a
> no longer existent command, then the new command doesn't
> support the same features, and finally because the interface
> got named 'eth1' instead of 'eth2' as /etc/iftab should have
> made it be.
>
> I'll work around the scheme thing no problem, but the interface
> and card-insertion process is such a maze of twisty little
> passages that I'm not sure where ifrename is, or should be,
> called, or what stuff I need to do to get it triggered if it
> *is* called.
>
> I could probably use the HWADDR envariable in ifcfg-eth2 to make
> it match -- except 'eth2' is my name for the wireless interface
> regardless of which wifi card (of three) is inserted.
>
> Google isn't being much help yet.  Anyone else encountered
> this, while I keep looking?
>
> Thanks!
> --
> #ken	P-)}

> "Millennium hand and shrimp!"

Hi Ken,

I've not used RH/Fedora since RedHat 8, nor do I understand your travel
needs,nor have I had a situation where all Wifi cards identify themselves as
eth2 (or any other name like that), but perhaps you could find something of
use here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/lpm/200612/200612.htm

The preceding doc concentrates on wireless-tools rather than distro specific
tools, and lets the drivers name the interface (ath0, rausb0, bcm0, etc). In
Mandrake I've had some real problems with distro specific tools and reverted
to the tools provided by the wireless-tools package (iwconfig, iwlist, etc).

Perhaps you can find something in this document enabling you to write a simple
script to rename your interface, or use the interface name delivered by the
driver, or some other solution that will survive distro upgrades and maybe
even distro changes.

If you find a way to do what you want, please let us know, as I'm constantly
getting my booty kicked by Wifi, and I doubt I'm alone.

Thanks

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware