[TriLUG] code for search engine

Chander Ganesan chander at otg-nc.com
Tue Jan 16 20:20:36 EST 2007

Jim Ray wrote:
> I hired an intern from the English department at NC State this semester to
> write some copy for my web site.  He recommended putting in some code to do
> a local search.  I am partial to LAMP yet otherwise open to suggestion.
> Does anyone have a recommendation on some code that I can plop into my web
> site for a local search function?  It would be way cool to do full text
> searching.  I played with PHPDig to no avail.  Maybe it is looking for
> *.html and all my stuff is *.shtml.  I dunno.  Any help gratefully
> appreciated.

Our web site uses isearch2 .  It's free (but you can pay for it if you
want) for indexing HTML , text, etc.  It costs $$ if you want to index
PDF files, etc.

It's written in PHP and works with MySQL....

When we deployed it we were looking for something that would work well,
and take less than 30 minutes to set up...this fit the bill perfectly.

If you go to http://www.otg-nc.com you can type whatever in the search
box to have it do a search...

chander