[TriLUG] Access to remote linux files and folders...

Alexei Znamensky russoz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 13:51:37 EST 2007

Hi D,

Sorry man, but this is a bit confusing.

SSH and NFS+portmap are not related to each other. So, turning NFS/portmap
on and off has no effect on ssh whatsoever.

One thing, though, that occurred to me is: the remote folders you're trying
to look into are actually in a third box, through NFS. So if you NFS off in
this SSH server, it will umount these folders, thus, you will see them
empty.

Not sure if I got the scenario right, though.

[]s,
AZ

On 1/19/07, dsandif <dsandif at email.unc.edu> wrote:

> I am trying to see and access the drives and folders on linux boxes
> remotely across the network. I basically ssh into the machine and then
> CD down to the directory with the files that I want to access. Prior to
> all this I stop and restart the following services; portmap and nfs. One
> note to all of this is that I make sure that in my /etc/exports file I
> have the dns names and ips of the machines I'm trying to reach and I
> issue these commands first as root:
>

> /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap stop
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs stop
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/portmap start
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/nfs start
>

> This is all I do. nfs gives a few failed messages when I stop it but
> eventually it shuts down. I then restart the two and from that point, I
> am able to ssh into other linux boxes and drill down to see directories
> and files. However recently I have one box that seems reluctant to allow
> me to see it directories. I can ssh to it but when I try to ls and see
> the files in the say "jukebox" directory, nothing comes up. I don't get
> any other than a prompt for that directory, no listing of files.
> However, if I reboot that linux box that I currently can't see, re-run
> the stop and start command for portmaping and nfs, I can then see the
> box I was trying to reach BUT the problem then switches to the local
> box, in essence, the issue\problem is now on the local box.
>
> 1). How can I set this up so that I get either machine to see one other,
> I can see both their directories and files and,
>
> 2). How can I automate this process so I don't have to keep doing this
>

> Thanks
>
> D-

Alexei Znamensky - russoz_gmail_com
::: Remember, remember the 5th of November