[TriLUG] getting dd if=[flaky device] to ignore read errors

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Jan 22 17:16:22 EST 2007

*rubs eyes*

There it is, right in front of my face.  Thanks for not being a jerk
about pointing out the obvious to me. :-D  My excuse is "it's Monday."

The question becomes, then, what is the output when the input is an
error?  Garbage or nothing?  I think it might make for a more difficult
recovery (then again, maybe it won't) if, for example, 100 good bytes +
10 errors [in] == 100 bytes out, instead of 110 bytes out (10 of which
are garbage).

~B