[TriLUG] OT: Google datacenter in NC

Ben Pitzer bpitzer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 08:53:14 EST 2007

Keep in mind that they have a small, probably underutilized network up
there, too.  RR is in a situation where its subscriber base has grown very
quickly, requiring a great deal of infrastructure changes to keep up.
Frankly, small outfits can easily outstrip larger ones, if only for the
reason that they probably also don't have the concentration of heavy users
that the Triangle does (work from home types, VPN requirements, bittorrent
downloaders, web and mail servers on home networks, multi-system home
networks, etc).  Thus, they have that kind of bandwidth to spread around.
It's easy to keep their routers distributed evenly, especially if they can
afford to purchase hardware faster than the subscriber base is growing.
Down here in the Triangle, it ain't that easy.  Trust me, I've seen it from
the inside.

-Ben Pitzer