[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jan 27 13:05:56 EST 2007

Yep. I read that while doing my research on Challenge/Response systems.
The basic arguement against doing a C/R response is that you respond to
the forged From and thus add to the problem of spam. Thus my comment on
one of the seals of doom being broken... :-)

The problem here, is that we have to work with a broken environment for
smtp that folks refuse to  help fix. I hate to do C/R, but it would
solve *our* particular problem.

We need for all SMTP to be authenticated and only accepted from the
authoritative source of that domain. That would effectively cripple
Spammers. It's not like we allow folks to POP email as a user without
using a password! Why should we let people drop off email without the
same protection. Alas, that would mean that folks who make email clients
would have to adapt them to using auth-smtp. Something so logical seems
to be beyond the capabilities of Microsoft.

Jon