[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

Cristobal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 19:52:31 EST 2007

It's unfortunate that "spamd" also refers to a deamonized version of
spamassassin. Is anybody using this OpenBSD version on Linux?

Also, how is this harder for spammers to work around than anything
else? I was under the impression that many (if not most) pump-and-dump
spam programs ignored RFCs to the point that they didn't wait for any
replies whatsoever, so this OpenBSD system would have no effect on
those programs. Am I wrong?

Thanks,
CMP

On 1/27/07, Owen Berry <oberry at trilug.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-27 at 17:03 -0500, Magnus wrote:
> > OpenBSD's spamd is one of the most brilliant ideas going.  The best
> > adaptation spammers have made to deal with it is simply to recognize it
> > and disconnect before the spam engine gets stuck.
>
> I hadn't heard of this before, so I did some reading. I thought others
> in my situation might be interested in this:
>
> http://www.benzedrine.cx/relaydb.html
>
> Informative and fairly entertaining. Take that you spammers! :-)
>
> Owen

Cristóbal M. Palmer
UNC-CH SILS Student -- ils.unc.edu/~cmpalmer
TriLUG Vice Chair
"There are many roads to enlightenment, and thus many roads back to
the One True Debian" --crimsun