[TriLUG] Another seal not yet broken... using Greylisting

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Mon Jan 29 10:42:12 EST 2007

You shouldn't see any issues with *.mil either. We're using digital signatures
/ require smart-card authentication to do just about anything on the network
(as I attach my digital sig) on this e-mail.

I know the DMA (Direct Marketing Assoc.) requires all of its members to use
"sender-id". This helps out somewhat as well ...especially when a dispute
comes about from one company spamming individuals. (I know this because I
worked for one of the larger Direct Marketing companies in the US not too long
ago).

@ the last company, we were also using Postini, which was flippin sweet. I
think with our volume licensing, it came to somewhere around $2 a user
...which is pennies when it compares to the amount of time lost fighting help
desk calls because some user just gave out their ebay or paypal account. For
the most part, we saw about a 99% reduction in spam, and when one did get
through, it was usually blocked within minutes. They also rely on their own
filtering, and users submitting "spam e-mails" into their pool ...which I can
only imagine has built a massive database for them.

I like the idea of requiring mail servers to "trust" each other -- but I don't
think this will be a viable solution ...as it would undoubtedly get abused.