[TriLUG] Another seal broken... thinking of installing a C/R anti-spam system

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 09:20:24 EST 2007

I've been lazy at home, so I'm still on the SA pre sa-update.  I'm
easily getting 50-100 spams into my inbox each day... but also usually
10 hams.  I dump all my spam into a spam folder and process that once
a week or so.  I hardly process ham, I suppose I should improve on
that.  I've managed to have 2741 spams sent directly to /dev/null in
the month of Jan 2007 according to my procmail log.  Doubling that
would be impressive... something SA with sa-update I'm sure would do.
In 3+ years of using SA, I've only had one false positive.  A friend
of my Mom on an aol account got sent to "possible spam" folder once,
so I just whitelisted that friend's address for Mom, problem solved.
Like Magnus, I'm a little weary of being over-zealous and dropping
good mail.

David

(At work, commercial Brightmail is kickin ass and taking names and we
send and receive thousands of emails daily as part of our normal
customer interactions!)