[TriLUG] Camcorder -> DVD with a 90 degree rotation?

T. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Tue Jan 30 12:33:57 EST 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 01:07, Cristóbal Palmer wrote:
> Pipe through mplayer?
>
> From the mplayer manpage:
>
>       rotate[=<0-7>]

Close enough to put me on to a solution that worked.  For those joining us
late, I needed to get video off of my camcorder and rotate it 90 degrees
before burning it to CD.  I normally use Kino to download and encode the
video.  I couldn't figure out how to pipe through mplayer or mencoder in
Kino.  Those commands seem to want to do file processing, so my attempts to
pipe with mpeg2enc failed.  Either that, or I just didn't find the pipe
options in the thorough and loooong man page for mplayer and mencoder.

Anyway, what I ended up doing is using Kino to capture and edit the video from
my camera.  Then I exported to MPEG as usual.  Now, I had an MPEG video
where "up" was the left of the screen.

Finally, to rotate the image 90 degrees counter-clockwise so that people would
actually be standing up correctly, I used
mencoder sideways.mpeg -o final.mpeg -oac copy -ovc lavc \
  -vf crop=320:480,rotate=2,scale=720:480 -aspect 4:3

In my case, I was able to crop the video because when it was shot in portrait,
much of the edges of the screen were above/below the subject of the video.
So, I chopped off those portions, rotated, and scaled it up.  The resolution
won't be great, but it works for my purposes with this video.  I didn't
really lose any of the subject, and the video can be played from a normal DVD
player without having everyone turn their heads to the side.  :)

Thanks,
---Tom