[TriLUG] Email issues

S B merlin180 at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 2 22:15:34 EST 2007

>>> Maybe someone in there is still having trouble with ECN
Is it possible I have the ECN bit set, so the destination feels entitled to
drop the packets (for some reason) ?

>>> tcptraceroute might be able to help you detect a broken hop in there
>>> somewhere.
All actions are from the shell of the dedicated server (obviously I can't go
the other way, from the shell of the shared account).

(1) traceroute takes 10 hops to get to the shared hosting provider boundary
and then no responses (just 20 loads of  " * * * ").
This is true for the shared server that had the SMTP/HTTP  problem, *and*
the one that didn't have the problem.

2) If I ping the shared servers, the one with the SMTP/HTTP problem doesN'T
respond but with server without the SMTP/HTTP problem *does* respond.

3) If I telnet to port 25 (SMTP) on the shared servers, again the one with
the SMTP/HTTP problem doesN'T respond but with server without the SMTP/HTTP
problem *does* respond.

If I repeat step (1) (2) and (3) from my Roadrunner home connection, both
shared hosting servers respond correctly !

Simon...

www.BeGreenForum.com
Practical Eco Friendly Information and Discussion.