[TriLUG] visiting Red Hat HQ

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Feb 7 19:55:46 EST 2007

On Wed, 7 Feb 2007, WA Brown wrote:

> You would think that they would meet people with open
> arms. How do they expect to grow if people dont like them
> or their products.

In the days when I was a biochemist, there was a small
innovative company in Maine, making a good product at a
reasonable price that everyone liked and used. Knowing I was
going to be in ME, I called up ahead of time to ask if there
was such a thing as a tour of the place.

The person said that they were a small company and they were
glad I like their products, but all their friends wanted to
do the same thing and they couldn't take the time to show
around everyone who visited. So sorry no.

I guess things have changed since the early days. It isn't
the Red Hat of 10yrs ago - there's no hobbyist version of
Red Hat anymore and all the Red Hat founders have taken
their money and run (AFAIK).

What reception would you get if you appeared at the front
door of NetApp or Sun and wanted a look around?

Joe