[TriLUG] visiting Red Hat HQ

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 8 10:28:27 EST 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 09:46, Catherine Devlin wrote:

> I don't think I'll try squirming my way into RH if they don't have any
> provision for casual visitors.  I'd feel funny presenting myself as that
> important.  Sure, I blog, but it's not like Linus Torvald won't take his
> morning coffee without reading me.  Anyway, as mentioned, cubicles are
> cubicles.  I can imagine a company where, for instance, they would let you
> in the usability lab to play with their up-and-coming goodies, or show you
> a series of machines running each RH release since 1.0, or have a standing
> series of open-to-the-public lectures and demos, or whatever - but it
> sounds like that's not so.

Personally, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss your credentials, or the
possibility of some very interesting interviews. I live in Orlando, and back
when they had Linux/foss conferences in Orlando, I regularly get in, for
free, as a member of the press (Troubleshooters.Com, Troubleshooting
Professional Magazine and Linux Productivity Magazine).

When I go to such conferences, up and coming goodies take a back seat to
interviewing *people*. I guarantee you if you go there and talk to five
people, one of them will have really interesting things to say that you'll be
glad you heard, and your audience will be glad you blogged.

Here are a few articles I wrote from conferences in which I got press passes:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/199906/_digcreate.htm
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/199906/_markspencer.htm
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200004/200004.htm#apacheconrocks
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200011/200011.htm#_jonmaddoghall
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200011/200011.htm#_jacobfarmer
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200107/200107.htm#_SLUG
http://www.troubleshooters.com/tpromag/200206/200206.htm#_InsideScoop

> As for a Linux lunch - wow!  Let me warn you that I don't actually have my
> tickets yet - I can't tell you yet when and where I'll be able to be at any
> particular time.  But I would love to meet you, and if I can possibly
> manage it I will!

Yes! This is a tremendous opportunity. I've met a few TriLUGgians in person,
and they're great.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware