[TriLUG] LaTeX revisited

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 8 11:19:21 EST 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 11:02, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Steve Litt wrote:
> > Absolutely! LaTeX creates a beautifully typeset book. My last 3 books
> > (and my upcoming one) were written in LaTeX (in my case via the LyX front
> > end).
>
> Sadly, my publisher was not so up-to-date. I wrote my book in LaTeX and
> had to use oolatex to morph it into Word format for the copy editing.

Is there an emoticon for "barf"?

Couldn't one define a "query" and "queryanswer" style, which would show up in
the LaTeX source but not on the finished document, that could be used for
queries and answers?

The one advantage I see to MSWord is it has revisions, so you can see what's
changed. I don't remember that too much -- it was mostly queries and answers,
as I remember.

> Then
> -- insult of insults -- the typesetters converted it back into LaTeX for
> the typesetting!

I wonder how they converted MSWord into LaTeX. Probably had a set of LaTeX
environments and commands exactly mimicking the styles you had in MSWord.

By the way, what book did you write?

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware