[TriLUG] LaTeX revisited

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Thu Feb 8 11:47:14 EST 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Steve Litt wrote:

> On Thursday 08 February 2007 11:02, Andrew Perrin wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Steve Litt wrote:
>>> Absolutely! LaTeX creates a beautifully typeset book. My last 3 books
>>> (and my upcoming one) were written in LaTeX (in my case via the LyX front
>>> end).
>>
>> Sadly, my publisher was not so up-to-date. I wrote my book in LaTeX and
>> had to use oolatex to morph it into Word format for the copy editing.
>
> Is there an emoticon for "barf"?
>
> Couldn't one define a "query" and "queryanswer" style, which would show up in
> the LaTeX source but not on the finished document, that could be used for
> queries and answers?

With coauthors I usually use the comment style, or just inline comments,
to do this. But my publisher wasn't willing to work with it that way. In
my field, what publisher you're on is exceedingly important, and this was
my first book, so what they say goes!

> The one advantage I see to MSWord is it has revisions, so you can see what's
> changed. I don't remember that too much -- it was mostly queries and answers,
> as I remember.

I know some people use RCS and make to manage large LaTeX projects that
have revisions in them -- I haven't tried it, but there's no reason you
couldn't. Again, I usually just use inline commenting to make tentative
revisions.

>> Then
>> -- insult of insults -- the typesetters converted it back into LaTeX for
>> the typesetting!
>
> I wonder how they converted MSWord into LaTeX. Probably had a set of LaTeX
> environments and commands exactly mimicking the styles you had in MSWord.

I assume that's right - don't really know.

> By the way, what book did you write?

_Citizen Speak: The Democratic Imagination in American Life_
(http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl)

Cheers,
Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl