[TriLUG] LaTeX revisited

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Feb 8 15:08:27 EST 2007

On Thursday 08 February 2007 11:47, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Steve Litt wrote:
> >>
> >> Sadly, my publisher was not so up-to-date. I wrote my book in LaTeX and
> >> had to use oolatex to morph it into Word format for the copy editing.
> >
> > Is there an emoticon for "barf"?
> >
> > Couldn't one define a "query" and "queryanswer" style, which would show
> > up in the LaTeX source but not on the finished document, that could be
> > used for queries and answers?
>
> With coauthors I usually use the comment style, or just inline comments,
> to do this. But my publisher wasn't willing to work with it that way. In
> my field, what publisher you're on is exceedingly important, and this was
> my first book, so what they say goes!

I spoze it doesn't matter, because the publisher gives you a stylesheet (guess
you call it a "template" in MSWord) and you use only the styles from within
that, and you hammer out content.

Sams demanded I use MSWord for Samba Unleashed, and it wasn't a problem
because I had absolutely no responsibility for formatting. They gave me a
template and a 2 page style guideline, and I did what they asked and let them
worry about getting it to fit in the book. It was as easy as rolling off a
log.

If you're anything like me, once you start self-publishing, LaTeX (or LyX in
my case) will become absolutely indispensible.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Author: Universal Troubleshooting Process books and courseware
http://www.troubleshooters.com/