[TriLUG] Old Guy Stories

jbrigman at nc.rr.com jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Thu Feb 8 16:26:04 EST 2007

I can't top the old guy stories, but I can provide the dot at the end
of the sentence:

The "ADDS 4" terminals replaced/supplemented the card readers at NCSU,
sometime in the late 80's. Through a crook of fate, I had to take the
last semester of the last IBM 360 assembly language class at NCSU. That
was in 1990, the year Paul mentions. The ADDS terminals in the bottom
of Daniels were the common access mode at the time, (I think the
Rainbows arrived in 1991?) and there were still long lines, even on
Friday night, to get to the terminals. The two remaining cardpunch
terminals/readers were always empty. So I bummed a box of cards from a
roommate and used the keypunch terminals. I never had to wait in line
for a terminal, and the assembly language programs we wrote were small
enough that using cards was no big deal.

The following semester, I felt the irony of happening by just as those
keypunch terminals were being wheeled out of Daniels by the physical
plant, displaced by the impending renovations. It was one of those rare
and bittersweet moments when one got to witness the actual turning of
the technology.

By that time, I was screaming along on a C-64/80 Column Card and using
the dial-in modems. Working at home, HiU (Homework in Underwear) mode
became de rigeur. Nary a moment of nostalgia for the old days.

JKB