[TriLUG] Old-n-Young Guy Stories

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Fri Feb 9 09:08:03 EST 2007

Heh, "youngun's"...

I guess I'm one of the "tweeners" between the Jim R/Chris C./Glen H.
group and the Olsen E./William S./Craig T./Alexis Z. group. Barely born
in the beginning of the 70's.

Wrote my first "program" (we now would call it a geneology db) on my
Atari 400 w/Left Cartridge Basic (pre M$ basic) and "membrane" keyboard
as a Christmas present for an Uncle (was a sw eng at Apple). Then for
fun, added peek/poke graphics and ported it to my C-64.

Attempted to play my first game(s) of mtrek on the school's HP 9000. It
didn't use a monitor, but a printout. Needless to say, I got killed as
soon as I logged in.

The first computer I learned "programming" on the good ol' TRS-80 Model
4 with *dual* 360k floppies AND a *green* screen (no crappy orange on
this baby!). It was one of the *10* that were used at the local High
School. My dad taught there and was one of the instructors that used the
computer lab. I would go in and play on that thing for hours after school.

Then there was.... (/me has lots of stories)...