[TriLUG] Old Guy Stories

Brad Jorsch anomie at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Feb 9 09:20:26 EST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 04:57:56PM -0500, OlsonE at aosa.army.mil wrote:
> I'll add to the young guy stories.
>
> I was born in 1979 :). My first computer was a Commodore 64. In high
> school I had a 486/66DX. My first experience on dialup was with a 14.4k
> modem on Compuserve when they gave you a obnixious address like
> 123512956128935628.2731 at compuserve.com.

If we're telling young guy stories...

I was born in 1980, and my first computer was a TRS-80 Model I which was
also 'born' in 1980 (i didn't get it until 1990 though). The disk drive
was kind of flaky (and with disk corruption, I had to swap disks 3 or 4
times during the boot to get around read errors), so most of the time I
saved things to audio cassette.

A few years later I got an IBM with a ROM date of 1982 and working 5.25"
disk drives. My first computer with an actual hard drive (and windows
(3.11) and a 14.4k modem) came along in 95. No compuserve though.

Mid-1998 got me a nicer computer (which pretends to be a router in the
other room now) with windows 98, and January 1999 got me Debian
installed on the thing. (:

Now I have another computer, a laptop, and a Super Nintendo (: No Linux
on the SNES though.