[TriLUG] Old Guy Stories

Shawn William Taylor STaylor at torexretailna.com
Sun Feb 11 21:27:08 EST 2007

JcJ,

When I went back to college to finish my first attempt. (It actually took
me 3 tries on that first degree! There were many that doubted, yet I
prevailed) I digress... I took a room from a couple. He had been in
Radio/Television as well. We used to drink red wine all night and he would
tell me stories about his world travels. There were only three or four
places I had ever asked him he had never been... He was a retired merchant
marine (Worked in comm) then he went on to work 20 years for the CBC [
Canadian Communist Radio! :-') ] When I met him he was completely retired
and spent his summers in Schomberg, Ontario and his winters in the Bahamas
on a 33 foot Concrete sailboat.

He used to talk about the equipment he started with and the equipment he
ended with at the CBC like it was 500 years between them. From 4 cases
that required 2 guys to lift a case to one backpack he could sling around
himself.

My how things change...

Cheers,

Shawn

JcJ Wrote:

Jim,

At least you have had the opportunity to get an "education" in
computers. What I have learned has been through necessity and I don't do
a very good job of learning.

The world of broadcast automation has changed drastically since I was
first exposed to it in the sixties.

I need to visit one of the local radio stations and see how they are
using automation, pc's, etc today. I am sure that it is nothing like my
days of radio and television.

jcj