[TriLUG] Asterisk Question

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Tue Feb 13 01:08:11 EST 2007

Steve Kuekes wrote:
> I know there's much Asterisk experience on Trilug.
>
> I'm looking to prototype a asterisk Voice response application on the
> cheap.  I'm looking to get one of these clone Digium X100P cards to
> provide one analog voice line for my test/development system.  Does
> anyone have any Asterisk experience with these and do the do everything
> I might need to make a system that answers the phone and does some
> "press one for information on xxx" type system?  They seem to be very
> cheap on Ebay < $25 with shipping.
>
> Or is there another card I should be looking at.
>
> Thanks

As some others have suggested, for development skip the hardware step at
first, unless you're particularly concerned about interfacing with some
pesky analog device, in which case the simple analog card probably won't
be a fair test (they're only of moderate quality).

I'd suggest going with a simple SIP phone on an OS you're comfortable
with.  gnome-phone on Linux, xlite on Windows, whatever.  Get that
talking to Asterisk, and you're basically home free.  You can also get a
cheap account from a SIP provider, something like Broadvoice or any of
the other providers, so that others can dial up and test out your
handy-work.

Aaron S. Joyner