[TriLUG] Positions with Google in NC

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Feb 15 03:50:40 EST 2007

Yes, as you've possibly heard both in the news, or on this very list,
Google is opening a data center facility in North Carolina.  No, this
facility is not in or immediately near Raleigh, and for that I do
apologize.  :)  The location is in Lenoir, NC, which for those who might
not know is around 3 hours west from Raleigh, proper(1).  It's a
reasonably small town, not too far from Hickory which isn't that much
larger, but I hear they have good broadband out that way.  :) (0)  To
boot, land and housing is also quite cheap (dirt cheap compared to what
I'm now used to out in Silicon Valley).  I suspect it will become quite
the happening place as there will be at least several dozen very sharp
Linux Geeks moving into the area in the near future.

We are already beginning to interview and hire for this location, and
will be doing so aggressively over the next several months.  We're
hiring for all manner of positions, from what we call "Data Center
Technicians (DCT)" on up through "Systems Administrators (SA)".  The DCT
positions are a good fit for persons with some to moderate Linux
user-level and administration knowledge, and a fondness for hardware and
interesting hardware-related problems.  It is also often a good career
path towards the SA positions, as well as the NetOps, Project
Management, traditional Management, and other interesting areas of
work.  The System Administration position is for persons with at least
intermediate to senior SA skills.  To put that sentence in perspective,
I use the terms junior by the definitions you'd expect to find used
outside of Google.  Don't think because it's Google that you're batting
out of your league, I turned down resume requests from recruiters for a
long time over that, and I often wonder what it would have been like if
I hadn't.  :)

Having said all that, let me tack on two things.  The Google interview
process is both highly educational, and a real treat in-and-of itself.
Even if you're not sure you would be interested in moving to Lenoir, or
if you'd make it through the interview process, I'd strongly encourage
you to try it.  I promise you'll learn at least a dozen things you'd
never thought of along the way.  In addition to the sheer educational
value, it's really quite a fun experience to just geek out for a few
hours with some of the smartest, most technically challenging and
interesting people you're likely to meet this year.

So, what now?  Send me a resume, and I'll punch it into our internal
recruit-tracking system, along with a friendly recommendation.  You'll
likely hear back from a recruiter by mid next week, at the latest.  As a
friendly reminder, you probably want to reply directly to me, not to the
list.

Aaron S. Joyner

0 - http://www.trilug.org/pipermail/trilug/Week-of-Mon-20070115/046024.html
1 - http://tinyurl.com/3cwowy (Google Maps showing location of Lenoir)