[TriLUG] Squirrel Mail Question

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Feb 16 15:11:43 EST 2007

> I am running into an issue with Squirrel mail that started 3 weekends
> ago.  Squirrel does not seem to keep the connection between it and the
> mailserver.  sometimes the screen won't even finish painting because the
>  data has stopped coming from the mailserver.
>
> The mail server shows a disconnect almost immediately after a connection
> from Squirrel.
>
> When I connect using firefox, the connection stays good till I close it
> out, this is the way it used to behave with squirrel.  I don't know what
> I did if I did anything.  I checked the squirrel config and even updated
> the software of squirrelmail and of dovecot.  The same thing is still
> happening.
>
> Any suggestions where I should be looking?  Nothing of interest is
> showing up in the logs except for the quick disconnects by squirrel mail.

A few random thoughts to look at...

- hosts.deny, hosts.allow, denyhosts
- iptables, shorewall, firewall

Look at the mail server's logs. Could this be an authentication issue?

Maybe related, maybe not. I had to add "permit_mynetworks" to my
smtpd_sender_restrictions in /etc/postfix/main.cf before I could SEND
from squirrelmail.

Alan