[TriLUG] suse linux limits

Robert Dale robdale at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 11:14:24 EST 2007

On 2/18/07, Magnus <magnus at trilug.org> wrote:
> Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> > Out of curiosity, why are you using ext3 for a system like that when you
> > admit it has serious limitations?  Why not a filesystem like XFS who's
> > maximum file systems size is 8 exabytes[1] (16 terrabytes on 32 bit linux
> > systems because of os limitations).
>
> Because ext3 is all Red Hat supports.

Technically, that's what the installer gives for formatting options.
The installer (the kernel running) supports JFS, XFS, and possibly
others, and will allow you to install to those partitiions.  I've had
problems with making /boot xfs or jfs even though grub should support
booting from those; I have to stick with ext2/3.

I can't recall if the fedora install cd has those mkfs tools in rescue
mode, but you can always use any of the popular "rescue" cds or live
distributions to partition and format.

--
Robert Dale