[TriLUG] OT~ish: 2U cases - 14" depth

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 14:22:26 EST 2007

Ok, so I'm searching around for a 2U rackmount case that is only 14"
deep (I think they list most of these as 13.9" technically *shrugs*)
I'm not sure I feel satisfied with the ones I'm seeing on NewEgg.
I've also visited servercase.com and rackmountnet.com.  I'm not sure I
have a preference on PCI slots... 5-7 1/2 height or 2 or 3 full size
using a riser... so that said, here's what I hope to put in it:

1.  probably intel board, core 2 duo (if not outragiously priced).
I'm hoping for onboard video (no need for 3D, just a linux console
going here) and onboard gigabit NIC, still prefer PS/2 keyboard if
possible, will get a USB keyboard if I have to.
2.  1.5 or 2GB ram... definitely not more than that.
3.  SATA drive I'm hoping... 200GB or so
4.  CentOS 4.4

I'll be running CentOS 4.4 in VMware Server FREE edition on top of the
host CentOS 4.4... only 1 VM for now, but this is for ease of recovery
in wake of a hardware disaster as I'll be snapshotting elsewhere.
I'll also be rsync'n data to an external backup drive separate from
the VM snapshots.  No, i haven't lost any data recently, my current
backups are OK, but I want more.  I had power outtages last night...
the power supply on my current 2U is starting to get wonky after that.
 I also had to literally beat my fw's hd with a hammer to get it
spinning back up after being turned off when my UPS ran out of juice.

here's one from rackmountnet, but it seems pricey:
http://www.rackmountnet.com/Rackmount-Chassis/2U-Entry-Level-Chassis/2U-Rackmount-Chassis-5-bays-139-depth-power-supply-optional-IPC2ES/

and it doesn't come with power supply, so how much more will I have to spend?

Recommendations?  I'm all ears.  Anyone know which exact 2Us were
bought for Oculan or who the vendor was??  I'd love my new one to be a
close resemblance to that one.  It's small and slick.

thanks,
David