[TriLUG] Positions with Google in NC

Jim Tuttle jtuttle at prairienet.org
Mon Feb 19 15:58:08 EST 2007

> Message: 12
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:24:18 -0500
From: "Mike Shaw" <mdshaw89 at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] Positions with Google in NC
To: "Triangle Linux Users Group discussion list" <trilug at trilug.org>

Hear! Hear!  I love how the IT business in general loves to promote itself
as family friendly but anyone with a family who has been in IT knows it is
all just K-rap.

I guess I'm only tangentially in the IT field the rest of you are in-
I'm a digital librarian at NC State.  About half of what I do is system
administration and application development.  I had an opportunity
recently to go to a dot com, which seemed great.  I'm sure I would have
loved it and it payed more than I make at State, but I suspect that they
were pretty demanding in a not-so-family friendly way.  My wife and I
don't have kids, but it's nice to know that we're in a good position to
should we so choose.

Also, it's unlikely that NC State is going to fold any time soon.  I do
keep telling myself, though, that if IBM or Redhat has an opening for a
librarian/ corporate taxonomist/ information architect, I'd apply.  I
don't have any sense how they treat people, but it can't be too bad, right?

Jim

---Jim Tuttle