[TriLUG] Positions with Google in NC

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 22:31:43 EST 2007

I just graduated in December, and was fortunate to be in the position of
having two very nice job offers to pick from. I went with my job in Cary
over one in Dallas for mostly two reasons: first, it didn't involve moving
to an area where I know no one and second, they're already a publicly-traded
company, so as much fun as it can be working for a non-publicly traded
company, working for one where you can get good external analysis of the
company's financials, work, etc was pretty appealing.

My roommate went for almost 7 months after his graduation from grad school
in Dec of 05 before finding a job that was both interesting and would
compensate him at the level somebody with a PhD in Electrical Engineering
should get. And it was because of his job that I found out about the
availability of my current job.

A relocation for me would have been a relatively trivial matter - but the
amount they offered above the local company wasn't worth the hassle of
moving, changing car insurance, licensing, finding an apartment in a
not-crappy part of town, etc.

Since I just graduated from college, had I been able to actually talk to
Google about any of the positions I applied for, and they offered something
approaching parity of what I got here, I would have jumped at the
opportunity. But right now I'm working for a company that small enough, and
specialized enough, that not only do I have a shot at knowing most if not
all of my coworkers (and a bunch that I would otherwise not need to know),
but I can also reasonably expect to know each of our products inside-out and
backwards inside of a few months.

Warren

--
http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on