[TriLUG] OT: Mac vs. PC - the 1996 edition!

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 09:39:19 EST 2007

What kills me about Vista is this (as Matt Pressley pointed out in his
blog):

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=29

Until she stumbled upon a "very severe hole" in the design of UAC (User
Account Control) and found out — from Microsoft officials — that the default
no-admin setting isn't even a security mechanism anymore…"

"[When] you try to run such a program, you get a UAC prompt and you have
only two choices: either to agree to run this application as administrator
or to disallow running it at all. That means that if you downloaded some
freeware Tetris game, you will have to run its installer as administrator,
giving it not only full access to all your file system and registry, but
also allowing it to load kernel drivers! Why should a Tetris installer be
allowed to load kernel drivers?"
Good move, MS.  Once again they have managed to snatch defeat from the jaws
of victory.  Just when you thought they might "get it" you find something
like this.

Linux rules, but I can't do without a lot of the programs that I have on my
Mac.

By the way, the latest Mac vs. PC commerical about Vista security is a
classic!