[TriLUG] CompUSA closing stores

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Wed Feb 28 14:35:40 EST 2007

Steve Litt wrote:
> They detained me 10 minutes

And you didn't sue?

There are laws against that ya know.

Remember when stores used to have security goons at the door checking
your bags on the way out?  When they would say to me "Can I check your
bag?" I used to take great pleasure in telling them "No, thank you."
because really this was entirely optional and they had no right to
require you to present the bag with the item YOU now own (once the
transaction was completed).

Best Buy nearly got in a lot of trouble over this very issue.  Notice
that for over a year now, Best Buy no longer has goons checking your
bags on the way out.  They actually tried detaining a customer that did
exactly what I do and the goon detained him.  Cops came, citizen calmly
informed the police of his own rights, and cops radio'd it up the chain.
  In the end the illegally-detained customer had the option to press
criminal charges against the Best Buy store manager and security goon
but opted not to.  Instead he wrote letters up the corporate chain
describing the incident and asking for their legal department to resolve
it.  In the end, the lawyers nixed the bag checkers.

If you detain someone for shoplifting and it turns out they didn't,
you're in deep doo doo.

If this story is interesting to you and you'd like to learn more about
your rights as a citizen that are trampled every day, you might like
this podcast: http://americanradioshow.us/