[TriLUG] Electronic Filing Software

Robert Dale robdale at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 18:21:03 EST 2007

On 3/2/07, Ron Joffe <rjoffe at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Our office is looking for an electronic filing software.
>
> We envision the software to be able to:
>
> 1. Take a scanned doc (tiff)
> 2. OCR the document
> 3. Name it and file it appropriately.
> 4. Optionally have a document retrieval system.
>
> This (of-course) would need to be a linux suite. We are looking for
> experiences,recommendations with existing suits or set of tools which would
> accomplish the required sorting and filing.

I was a little curious myself about the state of OCR on linux...

Gentoo wiki[1] basically says open source ocr sucks, use a commercial
solution[2].

It's been awhile but you might want to get a hold of the guy[3] who
did OCR for the postal service.  There's an open source opportunity
waiting to happen ;)

[1] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_do_OCR
[2] http://www.vividata.com/index.html
[3] http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2985