[TriLUG] Thursday at 2pm: Cory Doctorow says, "Pwned!"

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun Mar 4 16:04:18 EST 2007

Thanks for the posting. I went to the talk at UNC at 2pm and
enjoyed it so much that I also went to the talk at Duke at
5pm. I wouldn't have known about it without your posting.

The audience at the two venues were quite different. It was
a hot day (unusual back then but not anymore it seems) and
at the UNC talk the audience was mostly (I think undergrad)
students, all dressed casually, presumably fitting in with
Paul's style. Several of the females had tatooes, which I'm
not used to. The Duke talk at 5pm was mostly more formally
attired academics and what seemed to me to be older
students.

Cory's talk at UNC was about DRM and the rights we are left
with (if any) when we buy music/movies. The talk at Duke was
on ubiquitous serveillance in modern society (and the rights
we have left).

Cory is articulate and speaks more quickly than anyone I can
think of. Although the speed is unusual in a seminar
setting, much of the content he was familiar to the
audience, and for this, the delivery style worked well.

Cory would lead the audience through a set of logical
arguments starting from premises that the audience accepted
(eg we want to be able to listen to the music we've bought)
and arrive at "we want DRM now", the conclusions that the
record industry tells us that we're clamouring for. Every
few minutes there'd be laughter, not because Cory had said
anything funny, but because of the sudden realisation of the
rights we're expected to give up, so that the recording
industry could make more money.

Cory is a scifi writer and said that contrary to popular
wisdom, scifi writers aren't any better at predicting the
future than anyone else; they're only good at predicting the
present. eg Jules Verne (which Cory pronounced in the French
manner - I didn't know J.V. was French) only described
things already present in his society.

As for DRM, Cory said that all encryption methods are
breakable, when the receiver of the message is also the
person who mustn't know the content of the message. Security
people know this, but have convinced the the entertainment
industry to buy their products despite this wrinkle, since
no-one else wants them.

Encryption for the masses only became possible when the EFF
took NSA to court over the silencing of an academic who
wanted to deliver a paper at a conference describing
publically known encryption methods with keys longer than
40bits (the length the USGovt had decided was good enough
for its citizen's secrets). At the time cryptography with
longer keys was regulated as a munition. It's only because
of the EFF suit that ordinary people can now buy over the
internet with a credit card and peruse their bank records
from home.

Talking about Apple's DRM on iTunes, Cory describe the iPod
as a roach motel for tunes - tunes go in, but never come
out. He said that mashes and other music released under
licenses which prohibit DRMs (including his own) are DRMed
on iTunes anyhow. Asked about Steve Jobs statement that he'd
take off DRM if he could, Cory said "He's the biggest
shareholder in Disney - do you think he can't tell Disney
what to do? Do you think he's quaking in fear of the
backlash from recording artists if he takes off the DRM?" As
for the entertainment industry's interest in preserving the
rights of artists (so that they will make money), Cory noted
that 98% (or possibly 90%, didn't get it down fast enough)
of artists make less than $600/yr from their recordings.

The entertainment industry lawyers don't have to catch
people transferring files to get them. In a college setting
where some people setup indices of shared files, just the
act of having an index is prima facie evidence of illegal
file sharing.

He talked about Internet II, and how the designers put 2yrs
of work into QoS to give streaming packets (eg video) high
priority. They eventually concluded that it was cheaper to
add more bandwidth (pull more fiber) than to pay people to
fiddle with a bandwidth limited system. I once heard a
similar statement from a google sysadmin, who said if you
were practicing reasonable disk hygiene (deleting old
files), that when a disk filled up, it was cheaper to add
another disk, than to spend the time to chase up people and
ask them to delete even more of their files.

The no-fly list, which has grounded people like Senator
Edward Kennedy and peace activist Cat Stevens, Cory
described as a list of people who are so evil that we can't
let them fly under any circumstances, but who aren't evil
enough to be arrested.

Cory talked to a person involved with filtering the internet
for child pornography. Cory asked how it could work. The
person said

"Well it doesn't. Child pornographers always can find ways
around the filters - they're determined. What we're really
doing is stopping ordinary people from accidentally going to
a child pornography site."

Cory said he surfed 9 sigmas outside the rest of the
population and he'd never landed on a child pornography site
by accident, so who are these filters really for and why are
we spending money on them and telling society that they need
this protection from the government? Cory noted that you can
turn the history on and off in Safari now (he called it
something like the "porno switch", but I can't remember what
he called it - but Apple has some bland technical name for
it).

Cory described the current internet as coming out of Tim
Berners-Lee's efforts to provide technology to allow
collaboration. It's worked so well that now people
collaborate who've never met each other, who don't even know
that they're collaborating, without a central authority on
the collaboration, for almost no cost and who would never
have thought of collaborating in the past. Apparently at the
time, there was a cabal of academics designing a
collaborative internet with central authority on each
subject. Those people are still remonstrating that Tim
jumped the gun on them "If only he'd waited 2yrs, we would
have had it working and he could have joined us", they
lament. Cory points out that they'd been working for years
with no results. (Joe: you do know that Tim's conference
paper describing his collaborative working tool, was
rejected. Apparently it was of no interest to academics.)

Cory says the same technology (the internet), through DRM,
is being used to restrict your freedom. The entertainment
industry will say "how about a license that only allows you
to view the movie on one computer, in one particular room,
by only one person? Anyone buy that?" (Joe: similar to the
original e-book license that Dmitry Sklyarov broke). Well
no. "OK how about separate licences for the bedroom and the
living room? Anyone buy that?". And so it goes till the
industry finds the minimum rights that can be separately
licensed.

Cory said that society is being conditioned to accept
surveillance 24*7. In London, where he lives, he's
photographed 300 times a day (Joe: people walk around a lot
more in other countries). It doesn't make you any safer. A
friend of his wife's was murdered on his front doorstep. The
cameras didn't prevent the crime - killers don't think about
cameras when they're killing someone - they were caught
afterwards from pictures on the cameras.

Cory, being a foreign citizen (Canadian) is fingerprinted
every time he enters the country. This program has caught
about 1000 people at a cost of $15M/person. Were any
terrorists caught? Nope - all the terrorists were let
through. The people caught had overstayed their visas or had
minor dope convictions in their home country. Was it worth
$15M a person to stop them from entering the country, or is
it just a program to keep the populace on edge?

Cory talked about something that has (Joe: or will, not
sure) happen in World of Warcraft. To circumvent the Great
Wall of China, 10,000 people will logon to the Chinese
server and walk around (the game) holding up a sign saying
"I'll get a URL for you" (ie one of the blocked URLs). Then
the player from the free world would get it and dump the
output on some scratchpad in the game for the Chinese person
to read.

Cory's desktop machine(s) all run the Tor (anonymising)
router.

(I didn't intend to write up the talks. It was only about
half way through the 2nd talk that I realised this was too
interesting for others to miss out on. Much of this posting
is from notes scribbled at the end of the last talk and
after I got home. I expect I've covered less than half of
both talks here.)

Joe