[TriLUG] KVM choices

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 5 02:08:26 EST 2007

Hey All KVM Sufferers;

The Belkin 4 port KVM does have the problem that it loses sync when you
switch between the ports. (The IOGear doesn't, and NewEgg has a 4-port
IOGear for about $70.)

There is a device you can add to the mouse/keyboard ports of your PC to
eliminate the problem with the Belkin KVM (also to boot your Linux
system without a keyboard/mouse if you need). It is the "Guardian for
PS/2" Keyboard and Mouse Emulator, Model APKME. It allows you to boot
and run the PC without a mouse/keyboard, allows you to "hot connect"
mouse and keyboard without problems. A good Google incantation is
"keyboard and mouse emulator for ps2".

I have also heard that PS/2-to-USB adapters will provide similar
results, but I tried one, no joy.

JKB