[TriLUG] Apache: Segmentation fault errors

Alexei Znamensky russoz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 06:29:47 EST 2007

Paul,

If no other (and better) options come up, you might want to consider going
down into strace.

Run 'strace httpd > strace.out 2>strace.err' and then watch those output
files grow bigger and bigger :-o)

The 'strace' command will log all the system calls executed by httpd. Check
strace man page for its options, you might want to tune the output.

While writing this, it occurred to me that,if you haven't tried "http -t"
(for testing the config) yet, you should give it a try. Looking for docs of
httpd now, I saw (for Apache 2.0, at least), there's also a -X option to run
apache in "debug mode".

HIH

[]s,
Alexei

On 3/5/07, Paul G. Szabady <Paul at thyservice.com> wrote:

> It was at 104841.  I up'd it to 262144 as a test, but it still failed the
> same way.
>
> Also, ulimit is unlimited.
>
> --
> Paul
> @ Thy Service
>
> > Paul G. Szabady wrote:
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I was wondering if anyone had any good pointers for trouble-shooting
> >> Apache Segmentation fault errors on linux.
> >>
> >> IE:
> >> [Sun Mar 04 21:55:42 2007] [notice] child pid 29114 exit signal
> >> Segmentation fault (11)
> >>
> >> I have a RHEL 3 server with 2.4.21-47.ELsmp kernel, Apache/2.0.46, and
> >> PHP
> >> 4.3.2 w/Sablotron 1.0.1 support that supports numerous virtual hosts.
> >> Until recently all seemed to work as it should w/3977 "VirtualHost"
> >> stanzas in the http.conf file.  After adding ~150 new virtual hosts, I
> >> seem to hit what appears to be some form of linux/apache/php limit.
> >> Now,
> >> mostly everything seems to work as it should EXCEPT the admin panel on
> >> phpBB.  Whenever I go to the admin panel, I get a Segmentation fault
> >> error.  If I remove the most recently added (~150) virtual hosts,
> things
> >> work fine again.
> >>
> >> Short of building an additional server, does anyone have any
> >> suggestions?
> >
> > What does /proc/sys/fs/file-max say?
> >
> > Kevin
> > --

Alexei Znamensky - russoz_gmail_com
Notícias do Front: http://russoz.wordpress.com/
::: Remember, remember the 5th of November