[TriLUG] Convert to Linux

Lewis Faulkner Faulk003 at nc.rr.com
Mon Mar 5 12:11:13 EST 2007

Please respond directly to e-mail address below. I have used MS Windows
for several years, but am
now interested in cutting the apron strings and converting to Linux. I
am a total novice to Linux, I have
read "Point and Click Linux", "Moving to Linux", and "Moving to Ubuntu
Linux". They were informative.

I am terrified of jumping into,  for me, "uncharted" waters. My
questions revolve  around loosing my
Windows programs and data. No big deal if Linux works as I hope. This is
what I propose: purchase an
external 60, 80, 120 Gb, USB 2.0 hard drive, install Linux and "boot"
from the external drive. Thereby saving
all my Windows stuff until I finally bite the bullet and convert all the
way. This is my current hardware
configuration: Dell PC tower, Windows XP Professional, Windows 5.1 with
service pack 2 (build 2600)
machine type AT/AT compatible, System BIOS Dell - 7, BIOS date 8/24/04,
Processor type x86, Family 15,
Model 3, Stepping 4, Genuine Intel with 1 processor and physical memory
512 Mb.

Drive C: fixed hard drive 80 Gb, drive D: DVD - ROM  DVD+/- R/W with
MBR  partition  3215  Mb.,
Drive E: CD+/- R/W 568 Mb
Drive D: currently will "boot" the system with "Ubuntu/Kubuntu" disk
installed.

Sorry,  for this longish note,  but before I go off on "hairy"  tangent,
I wanted to see if this idea is workable.
Any suggestions  positive  or negative  will be appreciated.

--
Thanks,

Lewis Faulkner
1007 Wilshire Dr.