[TriLUG] re: conversion

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Mon Mar 5 13:31:24 EST 2007

I did the same thing in 2004 and I have not looked back.

Suggestion... do not put yourself into a dual-boot situation.  You will
get an itch to do something in Windows and you'll boot into Windows and
next thing you know, three weeks later, you realize you've forgotten all
about converting to Linux.  It's too easy to get lazy.

Instead, copy your entire Windows disk to the external drive.  Format
the 80G C drive using the Ubuntu install CD.  Copy the files that you
like (the data files, your "home" directory) from the Windows (external)
drive back to the Ubuntu partition.  Try to make do.  It's like moving
to a foreign country... everyone else seems to be getting along OK, and
you just need to be put on the spot to make it work for yourself, too.

Make a list of all of the apps that you run.  No, scratch that.  Make a
list of all of the TASKS that you do.  Example: checkbook, sort
pictures, digital camera transfer, play MP3's, print resume, read email,
surf web, etc.  Keep track of which apps you installed to do each task.
Some will take a long time to get moved over (it took me a long time to
switch from Quicken to Gnucash, but in this case too, I am not looking
back).

If you run into a snag, install vmware server or vmware player (player
is a Ubuntu package, easy to install).  Make a virtual machine and
install Windows on it (maybe Win98, it's lighter weight).  Then you can
run the hard-to-replace stuff (TurboTax, etc) inside of a sandbox.  This
gives you the capability to run Windows stuff, but it makes the
experience a little less desirable than running Windows natively.  It
also allows you to do the onesy-twosy Windows tasks without shutting
down everything else and rebooting.  It helps reinforce the idea that
you need to be finding replacement apps instead of finding a way to run
Windows apps under Linux.

If you need any pointers, send me an email.  I'd be happy to share some.

Alan

PS - copied to the mailing list

.