[TriLUG] hosting your own DNS

Shawn William Taylor STaylor at torexretailna.com
Mon Mar 5 14:47:21 EST 2007

Chris,

Why don't you get Static IP Addressing? Then you can manage your DNS
through a web portal (Same as you do now), but only have to change when
you want?

Shawn

Chris Wrote:

We are getting fairly large and frankly I am getting tired of having to
update dyndns every time I add a host to my network that needs to be
accessed off my network.  I want to still use dyndns since its reliable
but, I would like to do one of 2 things, 1 ,the easiest, would be to have
my BIND server update dyndns for me, or 2 have a BIND server sitting on my
DMZ, answering name server request, the latter I am not as comfortable
with since there are too many variable that I can not control on that
link, ISP, power, no redundancy, etc.  I notice that if I dig my domain
name I get ns1.dyndns.com, ns2.dyndns.com, etc, and if I could add say 4th
server to the list like ns1.mydomain.com if its not found on one of
dyndns's pool to look at my server.

Regards,
Chris