[TriLUG] hosting your own DNS

Magnus magnus at trilug.org
Wed Mar 7 14:20:16 EST 2007

Aaron Joyner wrote:
> Then pay someone to do secondary DNS service for
> you.

I highly suggest looking into http://everydns.net for DNS hosting.  Same
guys behind the OpenDNS service run this (though the EveryDNS service is
much older and more mature).

> Your ISP, various other folks on the Internet, etc may be able to
> do this for you.  It shouldn't cost much, on the order of a few bucks a
> month, tops.

I sent a one time donation to EveryDNS, something small (don't recall
off the top of my head) and since then have been allowed to host all of
my zones there without any limits.

Make sure your nameservers are on different networks from one another.
Sounds self-evident when you read it but a number of otherwise smart
folks have been bitten by that before.

--
"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory." - Bruce Lee's observations of
people at TriLUG meetings who won't shut up and let the guest speaker talk