[TriLUG] OT: Hardware question

Michael Rothwell michael at rothwell.us
Wed Mar 7 18:43:29 EST 2007

On Mar 7, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Shawn William Taylor wrote:

> I have been happy with HP Procurves.

Seconded. But for home use, kinda pricey!

We have an old NetGear managed switch at work that has basic VLAN
support. It's not whiz-bang, but it might do waht you want. I can't
remember the model number, but NewEgg is selling the GS716T for $280.
It's 16 ports of 10/100/1000 with a 32gbit backplane (i.e., it will
actually service all 16 ports at 1gbps), two fiber slots,  VLANs, and
trunking. Seems like a good deal. The user reviews on newegg are
generally positive about it.