[TriLUG] NCSECU website

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Fri Mar 9 15:37:14 EST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 02:04:53PM -0500, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> I'm wondering if someone more skilled at web stuff than I am can take a
> look at the NC State Employees Credit Union website,
> http://www.ncsecu.org. I've always used it just fine from linux using
> firefox/iceweasel as the browser; suddenly this week, I can't access it
> using linux but it works fine from a windows session within vmware on the
> same machine. This is aggravating, of course, but I don't even know how to
> begin diagnosing it and I have a nagging suspicion that the IT people
> there won't want to spend much time on it either. Any ideas what might be
> happening?

I've been investigating this one for a bit and contacting SECU's support.
They're aware, although they don't have a fix.  Interestingly, Firefox on
Windows Vista has the same issue.

In my tests, systems that use openssl-0.9.8 have the issue, systems on
openssl-0.9.7 don't.  So on this FC5 box, no browser I tried (Firefox,
Konqueror, Lynx) can access the site.  Same on my FC6 box at home.

An old FC3 box I have here worked fine.

Booting Knoppix 5.1.1 on my machine reproduces the problem.  Knoppix 4.0.2 (with
the older SSL lib) works fine on the same hardware and network address.

This seems cut-and-dried, except that others on the list are using the later
versions without problems. :-(

SECU's still working on it, and the Vista impact gives me hope that it will be
fixed and not written off.

--Brian

--
Be it thy course to busy giddy minds
With foreign quarrels; that action, hence borne out,

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net