[TriLUG] Routing/router questions from a network wannabe :-)

J.C. Jones jonesjc at intrex.net
Sun Mar 11 16:28:08 EDT 2007

James,

I want to use this setup for a meeting for several individuals ( at
present about 8 ) - once a month -- in a location that doesn't have any
internet service. I know that I could purchase one of about 3 different
devices that are being marketed, one by d-link, one by Kyocera -- I
can't remember who makes the third one though. Since it is a once a
month thing for about 2 hours, I can't justify the cost. ( lowest cost
is about 180. dollars.. believe one with all the extras may approach 500
dollars )

Why would companies market a product that is against "the rules"?? :-)

Maybe because they know a lot of individuals will be doing something
similar. I believe that all three of the devices on the market offer
battery packs to allow these small networks to exist in non-powered
areas that have access to cellular service  ( Parks, camp grounds, etc )
for a limited operating time.

Thanks for all the comments and information.

jcj

--
Visit my weblog at: http://www.wendellgeek.com/weblog/

Webmaster for: