[TriLUG] CPU Considerations/Recommendations

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue Mar 13 15:25:24 EDT 2007

I recently rebuilt my desktop machine after the motherboard caught on fire
(!!), and have been happy with my choice. I went with an Athlon X2 64,
which is a dual-core 64-bit processor. The performance is impressive, and
the heat is not bad at all.  The dual-core is nice because I also run a
vmware process pretty much continuously, so it's nice to have the
firepower.

As of now I am running a 32-bit kernel, largely because I haven't got
around to compiling a 64-bit one. The scuttlebutt seems to be that
performance is pretty similar either way, but recently I've been bumping
up against the 3G per-process memory limit so I may get to the point of
moving to 64-bit.

My motherboard, bought at Intrex, is an MSI K9VGM-V.

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl