[TriLUG] CPU Considerations/Recommendations

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 15:47:35 EDT 2007

ditto. AMD 62x2 (dual core) with 4GB DDR400. Dual 500G SATA II. NVidia 7100.
Very fast box. Makes computering fun. Also very fast sony DVD to cut those
install times into a fraction.

   Anyone scoffing at AMD right now ought to take a hard look at Itanic
(Itaniun - that /arch/ia64 directory:-). Intel could not successflly
introduce a new procesor architecture! They left their VAR's hanging out to
dry on that one!
   The AMD folks were migrants from the Alpha from what I've heard. So far,
I'm very impressed. I also have an Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.40GHz box but
it is not as fast as the AMD 3800+ x2, duh. I think the IO architecture on
the mainboard is important too but haven't seen a good, fair analysis on it.

Right now I think Intel has done a great job with FUD. AMD is supposed to
return mid-summer from what I read. Let the battle continue! What's maybe
more interesting is the cell, arm, and others. Could be we have a ton more
competitino next year than even now.

TimJowers