[TriLUG] CPU Considerations/Recommendations

Jim Tuttle jtuttle at prairienet.org
Wed Mar 14 13:53:50 EDT 2007

My desktop is a Xeon 2.8Ghz, which is 64bit.  I had a pretty rough time
about a year ago with 64bit Suse and Ubuntu.  The Windows Media codecs
available in the w32codecs package and Macromedia Flash were big
problems.  I think the advice then was to install the 32 bit Firefox,
which caused problems with other things.  Anyway, things may have
changed since then.  Certainly Ubuntu has come a long way in the past year.

I'm in the market to build a new system, too.  I expect I'll buy an AMD
X2 64 bit processor and install 32 bit Ubuntu.  I don't have a
compelling reason to move to 64 bit so I can't justify the time and
energy to deal with problems.

I just took a look at the Ubuntu forums so see what others were saying.
 It seems that many people are installing both the 32 and 64 bit
versions of Firefox so they can use Flash, which seems to be the main
complaint.  I saw this recently too:
http://consumer.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTI5OCwxLCxoY29uc3VtZXI=

Let us know how it goes,
Jim