[TriLUG] Novell & Microsoft - sleeping with the enemy

Matthew Lavigne lavigne at thosebastards.net
Fri Mar 16 22:43:21 EDT 2007

Mike,

Sorry that where you are in the business is so bad.  Having worked in the
Superlab where the majority of the x86/x86_64 stuff was developed and
tested, I get a laugh when I see the commercials cause I know how much work
goes into that "Linux Compat/Testing" that gets done.  Having been one of
the ones that helped to "fix" up and customize the original linux client
that go rolled out to the testers in the Superlab, I can say that there is a
commitment  in IBM to doing open source testing and development.

And the linux Desktop initiative?  if you haven't ever installed the Open
Client internally, I would suggest that you give it a try rather then
laughing at it.  I have been running linux internally (often a highly
customized version of the internal client) and it has only gotten better and
now with the impending release that it about to hit, it is at it's best.

Now I know that Magnus likes his toys, and up here in Albany  I am getting
to play with a lot of the new x86/x8_64 HW, so I am happy but the fun part
will be "learning" how to deal with the new Sun boxes that we just got., and
no they aint' gonna be running linux

The Java nightmare was real fun when we were getting ready for the DST
changes, took about 2 weeks of prep for over 4 hrs of downtime and only the
Sun box didn't get it right.

Matthew

Headed out to shovel about 2 ft of snow.