[TriLUG] weird ssh issues logging into login.trilug.org?

Benjamin Reed rangerrick at gmail.com
Sat Mar 17 20:16:36 EDT 2007

As of a few hours ago, I can't log in to the login.trilug.org server,
and the error I'm getting is really... strange.

---(snip!)---
$ ssh -v -v ranger at login.trilug.org
OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to login.trilug.org [64.244.27.139] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /Users/ranger/.ssh/identity type -1
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type 'Proc-Type:'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type 'DEK-Info:'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug1: identity file /Users/ranger/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----BEGIN'
debug2: key_type_from_name: unknown key type '-----END'
debug1: identity file /Users/ranger/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
---(snip!)---

I don't have an "identity" file, so that one obviously shouldn't work,
I do have an id_rsa, which does start with:

-----BEGIN RSA PRIVATE KEY-----
Proc-Type: 4,ENCRYPTED

...so I guess that's where the debug info is coming from?  Still, I
don't really understand how it could be something on my end unless the
Mac OS X 10.4.9 update broke it somehow -- none of these files have
been changed in some time.

I can still log into other sites, and when I try to log in to trilug
from those sites, it fails out with similar errors.

Any ideas?  Can I assume the trilug login server has issues?