[TriLUG] limiting Internet access with squid?

Cristóbal Palmer cristobalpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 01:28:06 EDT 2007

On 3/19/07, Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp at pobox.com> wrote:
> In my opinion the restaurant owner should set reasonable expectations
> about employee performance that make sure the work gets done when he's
> not around, and as long as the work duties are taken care of, why should
> he care if they surf myspace or not during breaks.  But I can understand
> if their use of the company computer causes spyware and such to get
> installed.

Install Ubuntu. Spyware problem solved. Seriously... aren't we a Linux
Users group? If I get a free lunch out of it, I'll happily do the
install myself. Unless he's paid $$$ for accounting software on there,
he can likely make the switch and be comfortable again within a month,
and he won't have to worry about Vista.

Now, I know there are plenty of reasons this restaurant owner won't
install Ubuntu. I'm sure there are at least three things on that XP
home install (one of them being $$$ accounting software) in his office
that he's not willing to... wait a sec... in his office?

> > when he isn't there his employees are surfing the web on the office
> > computer, going to myspace.com, crap like that.

Why the heck are the employees allowed in his office on their breaks?
Why the heck can't he log out when he leaves? You most certainly can
lock an XP home workstation: log out! Why do they need a computer at
all?

> Then again, I understand how hard it is to find responsible workers in
> the Triangle's service economy.  Still, I wouldn't want to work in a
> place where I was treated like a child - so it goes both ways.

Amen.

--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
http://claimid.com/cristobalpalmer