[TriLUG] Issues with my dual boot..

dsandif dsandif at email.unc.edu
Tue Mar 20 12:28:43 EDT 2007

Hey there!

I have a IBM T60 laptop running both Windows XP Pro and Redhat
Enterprise Linux WS 4, kernel 2.6.9-42.0.3. I had to have some work done
on the the screen which ended up being replaced.
When I got the laptop back, I booted it up into Windows fine. However,
when I tried to boot into the linux side, I got the following error:

Booting 'Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS (2.6.9-42.0.3.EL)'

root (hd0,1)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL ro root=LABEL=/1 rhgb quiet
  [Linux-bzImage, setup=0x1400, size=0x16deb0]
initrd /initrd-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL.img
  [Linux-initrd @ 0x37f74000, 07b8ba bytes]

Uncompressing Linux...OK, booting the kernel.
ide0: I/O resource 0x1F0-0x1F7 not free.
ise0: ports already in use, skipping probe
Red Hat nash version 4.2.1.8 starting
mkrootdev: label /1 not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
mount: error 2 mounting none
switchroot: mount failed: 22
unmount /initrd/dev failed: 2

Thats it. I am going to try booting  from a Knoppix Live-CD to see if I
can access the partitions and data, attach a  usb hard drive and save
what I can but any input and suggestions as to how I can fix this are
heartily welcomed. Thanks to all.

dsandif-