[TriLUG] Apache segfaulting when executing PHP

Brian Henning Brian.Henning at datadirect.com
Thu Mar 22 13:01:49 EDT 2007

Hi Gang,

I just rebuilt PHP to use custom ODBC libraries.  PHP built successfully
and installed successfully, and I can parse and execute scripts from the
command-line without any difficulty.  However, within Apache, php
scripts cause seg faults, regardless of their content.  It seems that
the moment httpd tries to spawn a PHP interpreter, the child process
segfaults, as shown in the httpd/error_log:

[Thu Mar 22 16:14:10 2007] [notice] child pid 3222 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu Mar 22 16:14:10 2007] [notice] child pid 3223 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)
[Thu Mar 22 16:14:10 2007] [notice] child pid 3226 exit signal
Segmentation fault (11)

These messages (usually five or six of them at a time) pop into the
error_log whenever httpd tries to serve a php page.

I tried rebuilding Apache, but that made no difference.

OS: CentOS 4.4
PHP: 5.2.1
Apache: 2.2.4
Arch: i686 (Xeon)

PHP configure command line:
./configure --with-apxs2=/usr/sbin/apxs
--with-custom-odbc=/opt/odbc32v52

Noteworthy environment vars:
ODBC_HOME=/opt/odbc32v52
ODBCINST=/opt/odbc32v52/odbcinst.ini
CPPFLAGS="-I$ODBC_HOME/include"
CUSTOM_ODBC_LIBS="-L$ODBC_HOME/lib -lodbc -lodbcinst"

(those paths are correct)

No other configure flags were used for PHP or Apache, and no error
messages were seen.  The only error at all is the segfault in the
error_log.

The new installations were (unwisely, perhaps) installed on top of the
default installation of PHP-4.3.9

Has anyone seen this before?  I've done some cursory google searching
but so far am not coming up with a great deal of useful info.

Thanks,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning
   DataDirect